Thursday, August 18, 2011

Rainbow Petals

Not sure how many of you girls have see these rainbow roses before.
YES, IT'S REALLLLL ROSES!!!! O.O
and I saw them selling in Singapore online at $50 for 3 stalks.... damn ex!!!
usual prettily coloured roses cost about max $2 per stalk on non-valentines' day days (hahaha day days :s), and sometimes $1 at those supermarkets or even wet markets!

SO I WENT TO SEARCH HOW IT'S MADE AND.....
TODAY, I'M GONNA SHOW YOU HOW TO DIY YOUR OWN RAINBOW ROSE!!!

(image credit to google)

STEP 1:
Get a white rose (they should come quite cheap, like $2 max?)



STEP 2:
Dissect the stem into 4 parts using a knife, up to 6 inch from the bottom


Like drawing 4 quadrants of a circle in maths!!!
the length to which you cut the stem till will be about 6 inches, just to allow the rose to stand later on


STEP 3:
Prepare 4 cups of tap water. Try to use super small cups so that you don't need to waste so much water


STEP 4:
Fill each cup with a different FOOD COLOURING. Make sure you put A LOT of food coloring!!! It has to be super dark! I didn't put enough for mine :(
Which is why I said to use smaller cups so that the Water-to-food-colouring ratio is smaller.

Anyway for mine I used Yellow, Blue, Red and Purple (red + blue)


STEP 5:
Put in each part of the dissected stem into each cup and leave it for 24 to 48 hours. If it can't stand, get something for the rose to lean onto
HAHAH

OH VERY IMPORTANTLY, CAUSE OF ALL THE DENGUE CASES, PLEASE COVER THE CUPS WITH A PLASTIC SHEET TO PREVENT MOSQUITOES FROM BREEDING IF YOU'RE LEAVING THE WATER STAGNANT FOR 2 DAYS!!!



MY RESULT?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
CUI!!!!
AHAHAHHA
wait!!!! BUT IT'S MY FIRST TRY OKAY!
I FOUND SO MANY MISTAKES I MADE WHICH I WILL SAY LATER ON SO YOU GIRLS WILL HAVE BETTER LOOKING ROSES :P


But you can see the yellow petal looking really obvious and the red and blue (looks a bit diseased) showing up slightly...



And the red coloring struggling to appear on the petal...


And the blue at the tip of the petal....


And basically this is my entire (failed) rose :P
OKAY NOT IMPRESSIVE, so please read on on the mistakes i made and if you're going to try this out PLEASE DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKES AS I DID :(


MISTAKES I MADE (YOU SHOULD REALLY AVOID MAKING THEM):

MISTAKE #1: I used too big a cup (try using SHOT cups if possible, the result should be better), so as a result my coloring was too diluted so the colors didn't show up well :( BUT you can see that the colors were creeping up to the petals already!!! if only i had used smaller cup and more coloring.. if only if only :(
MISTAKE #2: I accidentally cut the stem wrongly so my stem became really short and weak so it couldn't stand well. Would've been better if the stem was cut more professionally and carefully!
MISTAKE #3: I didn't place it in a CHILL/COOL place! our weather's too hot for the rose to survive that long! my flower withered even before i could wait for all the colors to move up the stem into the petals :( It should usually take about 24 to 48 hours for the entire rose to be colored but mine died LOL

So I guess if I had avoided those mistakes, my rose would've looked a whole lot better!
i'm gonna try it again!!!

MY ENTIRE LIFE, I MUST SUCCEED ONCE IN MAKING THIS PRETTY ROSE BY MYSELF!!!! *determined!*

Alright if you girls are gonna try this out, do let me know!!!
AND TWEETPIC ME YOUR RESULTS OKAY!!! ^^


if you can succeed, it'll definitely be awesome for gifts, especially if you're reading this and you're a boy and you wanna chase a girl!!!!
like, "to show you my sincerity and my love for you, I made you this rose by myself instead of spending $50 buying it."
WAHHHHH :D (good excuse to be cheapskate too)
HAHAHAH

DIY IS AWESOME! AND FUN! AND KILLS BOREDOM!!!

+++++ADVERTORIAL+++++

FOLLOW them on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/pendulumpixels
Quote PXDKITTY with your purchase for free normal postage ^^

Blogshop of the day!
PendulumPixels!!! ^^

CHECK OUT THEIR LATEST COLLECTION!!!
They have awesome awesome KNITTED STUFF!
hehehehe
and it's not just knitted, it's THIN!!!
look chio and expensive + not warm~
these are the kind of clothes i always go for man :) :)



I recently am eyeing on crochet tank tops cause of the hot water.... i am thinking of heading to the beach so i can wear my bikini???? AHAHAH i only wore it ONCE. and nobody saw it okay
LMAO *shy*


And I also checked out their previous collections and they have some quirky and cute stuff which I like!!!
BUT THEIR DESIGNS SELL OUT REALLY FRIGGIN FAST!
SO GRAB WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!!


I WANTED THESE HEARTSHAPED SHADES BADLY BUT IT'S SOLD OUT :'(
i hope they restock this!!!


And these eye-catching space-man futuristic looking shades!!!


I love blogshops that sell both accessories and apparels cause it's easier for me to receive a set of outfit all at once instead of having to rack my brains thinking of what to match my new top with!
And it's even better when the model of the blogshop wears the blogshop's design together to give us an idea of which pieces to get! :D :D


Get pretty with PendulumPixels now before it's all sold out!!!! ^^

FOLLOW them on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/pendulumpixels
Quote PXDKITTY with your purchase for free normal postage ^^

No comments: