Saturday, August 11, 2012

Maple Bacon Cupcakes

Humans are greedy by nature.
We always want the best of both worlds (or more worlds?).

For example, many times after finishing a savory meal, I immediately have extreme cravings for something sweet!
And after having my dessert, I'd want another bowl of hot piping soup to cleanse all the sugary taste in my mouth.

If only there was a way we could have both the savory and the sweet all in one....
Or can we? ;)

Today, I will be sharing with you guys the Maple Bacon Cupcakes recipe I tested JUST YESTERDAY haha!!!

As weird as it may sound to some people, trust me, IT TASTED AWESOME!

I guess the inspiration of this cupcake came from Americans (correct me if I'm wrong!) who have bacons alongside hotcakes and maple syrup for breakfast, and sometimes the bacon strips would accidentally dip onto the maple syrup, but they tasted yummy anyway? :D

I also tweeted that I was going to bake something and said that if it succeeds I will share the recipe, so here I am! :)

The recipe I'm going to post is adapted from several other cupcake recipes I've used previously and also from some Maple Bacon Cupcake recipe I found online
but I tweaked them to suit my liking :)
Please feel free to adjust the sugar or amount of bacon etc to your own preference!

Enjoy!



Ingredients

130g Butter (softened)
3/4 cup Sugar
3 Eggs
4 tablespoons Maple Syrup
200g Self-raising flour
1/4 tsp Salt
4 strips Crispy Bacon


First of all..... Introducing Chef Rachell LOLOL!
I decided to camwhore a bit before I started baking heheh I love my home and I'm totally good at self-entertaining so I think I have more fun at home than when I go out haha!
Plus my mum's a great company too!
She helped me with the bacon and all that :) I LOVE MY MUM!!

I got my apron $2 from DAISO!


Okayokay, last picture and they all kind of look the same anyway HAHAH
Let's start baking!


PREHEAT OVEN AT 180 DEGREES CELSIUS

Step One:
Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy

Step Two:
Add in the eggs into the mixture, one at a time.

Step Three:
Add the maple syrup and salt into the mixture

Step Four:
Sift the self-raising flour and add that into the mixture


Step Five:
Fry the bacon strips until crispy


Step Six:
Chop up the bacon strips into small bits


Step Seven:
Add in the chopped bacon bits into the batter and mix well. Remember to leave a small portion of bacon bits left for garnishing later

Step Eight:
Line your muffin pans with cupcake liners, fill the batter up to 3/4 of each cupcake liner


Step Nine:
Bake your cupcakes at 180 degree celsius for about 15 minutes or until it is ready

To test if the cupcakes are cooked, poke a toothpick into the center of the cupcake and if the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcake is done.


Best served warm.

The cupcakes alone are heavenly even without any frosting.
The fragrance of the maple syrup is extremely tantalising, the random chewy bits of bacon in the batter provides pleasant surprises, and the cupcake itself is moist and fluffy!

But for picture purposes, I made some frosting for some of the cupcakes as well :)

The taste of the frosting definitely complements well with the bacon cupcakes, although I honestly think this frosting isn't totally necessary in making the cupcakes taste better.
But then again, some people really like frostings on cupcakes so this is for you!

Frosting (Optional)
Ingredients
Cream cheese (in block form, softened)
Butter (softened)
Icing sugar
Maple Syrup

I'm actually not sure what the proportions of each ingredients of the frosting are because I mixed them all together based on intuition and also gauged by the taste and texture of it.

If the frosting isn't sweet enough, add more icing sugar/maple syrup.
If the frosting isn't smooth enough, add more butter.

After your cupcakes have cooled, frost them and and garnish with your leftover bacon bits (you can chop them even finer for this) from above!

Or, you can get large strips of bacon and place them on top of the frosting for some atas feel like THIS :p


I love biting into these bacon bits.

True indulgence of having the best of both worlds at once!


The best part about these cupcakes is.......................

BOYS (& girls of course) LOVE THEM!
I swear!

Bacon strips and bacon strips and bacon strips (EpicMealTime reference)!
Which boy wouldn't love them? :D

When I bake my usual colourful princess looking pinky vanilla/chocolate/nutella cupcakes with pearls on top and whatnot,
my boyfriend doesn't really like it and he just eats it cause I force him to :X

But with these Bacon Cupcakes, he'll be the one coming back and asking for more heheh!

You know what they say,

"The best way to a man's heart is through his stomach."

;)

Plus I've never seen anyone sell these Bacon cupcakes in Singapore (yet),
but they are currently at the top of my favourite cupcake flavours list, right beside salted caramel cupcakes!!!
Yes, they're that good!

What more they're easy to make and the ingredients are readily available :)
So try out this recipe and let me know how you like it/ tweet me pictures of your bacon cupcakes!


Thank you for reading, love you all!

Bon appetit~

HAHAHAH :P



By the way, if you're interested in my curled side pony tail in the above pictures, I learnt it from a girl by the user of "sugarlaws" on YouTube so do check her out :)

2 comments:

Rachel' Your Belove-d . said...

Thanks rachell , you make me super hungry . LOL

Plumi said...

aw you look so cute in your kit! Never thought about using bacon, will give it a go next time. ;P